Friday, May 1, 2009

A World Without Borders: My Experience at a Serj Tankian Concert

As you continue reading, you may think this post has nothing to do with our class content. I swear to you, it does.


Last summer, I attended a Serj Tankian concert on the North side of Chicago. Tankian is the lead singer of the rock group, System of a Down, and the concert I attended was the first show of his solo career. I will skim over the actual concert itself by saying that it rocked, and get to the part of the night that affected me emotionally and intellectually.

Tankian had just finished the last song of his set and walked off stage. This is the part of the concert where the audience becomes unified and chants for an encore. If you have been to a concert then you know the feeling. There’s nothing quite like the sensation of jumping and chanting with hundreds of people in unison who all want the same goal. Our cries were heard as Tankian walked back on stage minutes later and grabbed the microphone. A hush came over the crowd as Serj began to speak and set up his encore song. He started telling us how he performed the song in front of thousands of brave troops in Afghanistan and that he disagreed with the policies of President George W. Bush.

If you have been to a concert where the artist has mentioned Bush’s name, then you know the reaction that follows. The crowd erupted with boo’s and middle fingers as Serj nodded along in agreement. But then a weird thing happened. This is something I have never experienced firsthand before and it has etched itself into my memory in the “I will never forget this moment” category. After we (the crowd) voiced our displeasure for our leader, the chant of “U-S-A!” slowly began to percolate from the back of the balcony. The chant moved from back to front until everyone, myself included, was passionately emphasizing each letter with a fist pump in the air.

Then, Serj said something that brought tears to my eyes.

He stopped us mid-chant and said,

“I love my country, I love my country. But I am not a citizen of the U.S.A. I am a citizen of the world. I don’t believe in fucking borders. I don’t believe in Nationalism. I believe in unity and peace.”
For a moment, everyone in the crowd was silent. I had never, not once in my life, imagined a world without borders. The moment of silence hovering over the crowd signaled that I wasn’t alone. However, the silence was brief as the crowd started cheering once again as Serj Tankian played his final song of the night. I was in tears by the end of the song and, to this day, I can’t find an explanation why.

We are all citizens of the world, but sometimes we forget. For me, this moment opened my eyes to the tunnel vision I was living with and I feel fortunate to have this memory. That being said, this memory remained under the surface until one of the class presentations last week. In this presentation, the topic came up of North America being borderless until the colonists arrived. After I heard this, my memory of the Serj Tankian concert came rushing back and I was able to make a connection to this class. It seems to me like a world without borders might be a more peaceful one. We would all be united under one flag. I am not so naïve to believe a world like this would solve every problem. Even Native Americans fought among themselves in borderless North America. But, if we think of ourselves and others in terms of a world without borders, then just maybe we would treat each other better.

No comments:

Post a Comment