Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wampum Belts & Visual Memories

I have been fascinated by Wampum belts ever since they were first exposed to me during class. I just love how symbols and patterns are used to tell a story or display an emotion. It is hard enough to convey these things through words and I find it remarkable that people can create something as meaningful as a Wampum belt.

I did some research because I was very curious as to how these belts are made. I found a section on HowToMakeStuff.com that briefly explains how to obtain the materials and weave them together to form a Wampum belt. I found out that shells are used to create the beads seen on most belts. But, the line that really struck me was that each individual shell represents a single memory. I found this very interesting because we have very different methods of holding on to memories today. This blog is a perfect example. Here I am, writing my thoughts about Wampum belts so that I can remember them later on. If I were so inclined, I could create a belt that would symbolize my discovery and fascination with Wampum belts. A Wampum belt about Wampum belts, so to speak.

Even though we now have more modern ways of preserving memories, one thing hasn’t changed since the Wampum belt. Our forms of memory preservation are still largely based in the visual realm. We remember best when we can see something. We have photos, videos, movie stubs, and Hallmark cards, to name a few. Sure, written memories are still, and always will be, an integral part of our lives. But, the memories that stand out will always be the ones you captured visually.

No comments:

Post a Comment