Saturday, May 2, 2009

American Rhetoric - Another Great Online Resource

Some of you may remember that I did a presentation on Red Jacket, a great Native American orator and activist. Well, I have been thinking about this for awhile now because I didn’t get to share the end of my presentation with you as a result of time constraints. During my research, I came across an amazing online resource called, American Rhetoric. This website has a collection of speeches ranging from Abe Lincoln to Steve Jobs. Most of the speeches I’ve come across have had both text and audio components available, which is great for comprehension. There are dozens of speeches from Native American figures throughout history, including Red Jacket. This is an excellent resource to check out!

At the end of my presentation, I wanted to share an excerpt from Red Jacket’s speech to white missionaries back in 1805. I have already blogged about this excerpt before (See Red Jacket – He’ll Keep You Awake). But, I absolutely love the part when Red Jacket says, “We do not quarrel about religion.” Right now, it’s hard to imagine a nation that doesn’t argue and fight over religion. Red Jacket’s words still have meaning today which means his message has stood the test of time. It is unfortunate that his message has sometimes fallen on dead ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment